1. It is the longest written constitution in the world.
2. Consisting of 22 Chapters, over 395 Articles and 12 Schedules.
3. It proclaims India a Sovereign Democratic Republic.
4. Fundamental Rights are guaranteed to all citizens of India.
5. Directive Principles of State Policy are incorporated.
6. It established the parliamentary system of government, i.e., the President of the Union is the constitutional head, the Council of Ministers or the Union Cabinet is the real executive and is responsible to the Lok Sabha.
7. It is federal in form (in normal times) but unitary in spirit (in emergencies).
8. It is neither too rigid (as some provisions can be amended by a simple majority) nor flexible (as some provisions require special majority for amendment).
9. It declares India a secular state.
10. It guarantees single citizenship to all citizens.
11. It introduced adult franchise, i.e., every adult above 18 years has the right to vote and the system of joint electorates.
12. It established an independent judiciary; the Supreme Court acts as a guardian of the Constitution in place of the Privy Council.