The most awaited competitive exam of all times i.e. the civil services(CS) preliminary examination 2017 is going to be conducted on 18 June 2017 by the Union Public Service Commission( UPSC). The prelims always draw horde of candidates. For selecting candidates the UPSC follow a 3 step selection process that includes – prelims, mains and interview. The commission select bureaucrats for Indian Administrative Service (IAS), Indian Foreign Service(IFS), Indian Police Service(IPS).
For cracking UPSC Exam all the candidates are making efforts. It is suggested to follow a routine.
After changes made in the prelims syllabus and pattern, UPSC is giving special attention to GK. Here i am listing out some important topics of GK that will help you in clearing the upsc exam. Always try to go beyond the issues while reading newspaper. To broaden your GK use the newspaper as a guide.
Important topics for GK –
1.Firsts For this type of informations Manorama is the best book to follow. The questions might come like First Army General, Woman Chief Minister, Chief Justice etc.
- Books and Authors In prelims exam questions from this topic are often asked.
- Facts about India Go through the important demographic and economic data of various countries
4.Science and Technology Focus on latest developments, launch of first satellite, development of indigenous aircraft carrier and so on.
5. History Often history question are the direct questions that are asked in the prelims exams. Read Spectrum’s book thoroughly. Because 70% questions are asked from post 1857 history.
Devote more time for history to secure good scores.
6. Indian Economy focus on chapters like Inflation,
- Economic Planning & Reforms
- Indian Agriculture
- Banking in India
- Public Finance
- Human Development
- General science and miscellaneous In this area try to focus on general physics topics like electromagnetic spectrum, refraction etc and topics from biology, biotechnology.
- Geography and environment This can be categorized into 3 parts
- World geography
- Indian geography
- Political science
For keeping track how you are doing in GS, try to give tests. Practice more and more to have good knowledge in GK, so that you will have an idea to deal with questions by eliminating choices smartly.Try to cover each topic discussed above in detail from standard reference books to score well in the prelims. Hope this article helped you. All the best.
About Author: Arpita Das enjoys inspiring others through her writing and blogging. After her engineering she has chosen to work with many students and to explore the opportunities of creating a better future in the field of digital education. She has been able to motivate many with her passion towards education in Byju’s-the Learning App.Since when she started her career she has written articles and blogs. If you wish to discuss any related concepts or ideas feel free to drop an email at